Especially if you have plugged your iPhone into your PC and synchronised it with iTunes
If you have activated your iPhone with iTunes on your PC you may have synchronised your email settings.
You will almost certainly have problems sending email via your SMTP server – especially when you are out roaming and relying on your mobile network.
If you wish to have pure synchronised Mail (including all folders like Sent Items) and Contacts and Calendar then read about our corporate style Xmail Service
We suggest you might want to begin by deleting the email account your iTunes synchronisation may have copied from your PC.
Here are instructions on setting up POP email manually on your iPhone
As mentioned before sending email from an iPhone (in fact from most mobile phones) can be hassle – especially when out roaming using your mobile phone network. The trick is to use IMAP instead of POP – here is how.
1. Go to
2. Then select
4. Select at the bottom
6. You should see this screen
7. Complete your Name, Address and password
When the Save button turns blue you can select
8. Ensure that is blue (select it if it isn’t)
9. Now complete you Host Name, User Name and Password for your Incoming Mail Server
Your Host Name will usually be mail.yourdomain.com
User Name will usually be your full email address
10 Use exactly the same settings for your Outgoing Mail server
11. When the Save button turns blue you can select
12. You will now probably get a message something like this…
13. Click the Continue button and wait (this can take up to 5 minutes to authorise so be patient)
14. If you get the screen at 12 again – click Continue again.
Important eventually when it finishes you need to do this…
15. Select the Mail account
16. Scroll down and select
18. Select (Select it even if it is already ticked)
19. Now select the button to go back
20. Do the same for Sent Mailbox and Deleted Mailbox until you see On My iPhone for all like this…
That’s it – you are all done
You can press the physically dimpled Home button at the foot of your iPhone now to exit (it will save)